Sometimes it seems that we can’t help feeling the emotions we have at a particular moment. It could be joy, anger, sadness, jealousy or even envy. This emotions seems to appear out of nowhere and are usually triggered by events in our lives. It would be unwise to say that we have the power to control which of the emotions come forward when face with a situation. That is pretty much built-in in each of us. But that is not to say that we cannot manage them. Yes, to fight away the emotions is a tall order. Acknowledge that and work on managing them instead.
Managing emotions may sound no different but it is indeed possible and doable. Some pointers you can work on:
- Ask for divine guidance. No better than The One to help you, really.
- Stop whatever you are doing and take a time out.
- If that is not possible, move to another location.
- Write it down. Write down your thoughts and whatever emotions you are feeling at that moment. Confront them head on. Do not let them sit in your brain. It will only make it worse.
- If need be, speak to someone you trust about them.
Whatever they might be, you can overcome it. Believe in that and try out some of the tips above. And like with many other things, practise is key. Do not let your emotions control you instead.